Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chapter 9- Behaviorist Views of Learning

How would you define successful mastery of your lesson objectives from a behavioral view of learning?
In my own words, successful mastery of my lesson objectives would be my students understanding the taught material to my standards. For example, if my lesson objective was that my students would learn how to find the area of a square, mastery would be attained if my students could find the area of 9 out of 10 given squares. From a behaviorist point of view, mastery would be attained due to the students' environment. For example, the students would learn and understand how to find the area of a square due to my aural explanation, examples on the board, their graphic organizer containing how to find the area of different shapes that they could refer to, and the peers around them that they were able to work with. So essentially, the difference between my definition and a behaviorist's would be they attribute it to solely environmental factors while I would attribute students' mastery to other things as well like the social aspect of my classroom and the children's' self-efficacy.

Consider your CSEL intervention case study. Are there tools from a behaviorist view for either encouraging productive behaviors or discouraging undesirable behaviors that you could apply to the case? What are they?
The elementary case study involves Lisa, a student who is causing problems in her small group during cooperative learning activities. She gets angry with her group members when she doesn't get the job she wants and then refuses to contribute to the group's learning. She constantly interrupts others and doesn't pay attention when her group is preparing for class presentations. One behaviorist element that I could apply to Lisa is negative punishment. For example, when I notice that Lisa refuses to participate, I could remove her from the group and have her work on the assignment alone. I could also try cueing when students should be preparing for presentations so Lisa is reminded of what she should be working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment